Saturday, August 7, 2010

Hey, I'm Nick, I sing for this project.


About 5 years ago Matt and I met online and decided that we wanted to work together and record a small, minimal production acoustic album. Live recordings of vocals and guitars, then bass and drum overdubs. We both didn't like the idea of overdubs at the time, but there was only two of us, so we had to go with it. What happened over the next few years we never would have expected.

We wrote about 20 songs together, rewrote, rehashed, reinterpreted, and rerecorded these songs and they eventually grew into these monster productions that we now love. We love them because we don't feel like we had a goal. We did not try to, we just did, the parts that felt good stayed, the parts that didn't died out. Musical Darwinism.

"Shooting in the dark" is the term we always used for our creative process. We would act without resistance or qualification, I didn't know how to sing, Matt was just learning guitar, we were drummers you see, the sky was the limit and we were forced to improve onward and upward, thus "Out & Out" was born.

We originally had 18 songs on the album, but 4 were cut because they were too "nice". They didn't fit the style of the album at all and we thought it would be really lame to attack you with heavy hitting experimental tunes then start singing about cuddling with my ex. So we released those tunes for free. You will never hear songs like this from us again, and Out & Out will be something completely different.

I would personally like to express a huge thank you to my friends and family who have supported me through this process, be it rides to Toronto, lyrical feedback, ego boosting, and "Hey man I thought this shit was supposed to be out last Christmas, whats the eff?" Most of all the Durante family, they have been incredibly patient with me and with this project; lending us their house, their basement, and shuffling their schedules between the two to allow Matt and I to work alone without noise restrictions. Without support like theirs none of this would have ever happened.

We don't intend to get a lot of attention for this, we just wanted to do something on our own. We're just two normal, kind of goofy dudes that wanted to make a record. If you guys like it maybe we'll make another one together. If you don't maybe we'll do it anyway just to spite you.

- INs

1 comment:

  1. You guys rock! Got to watch an intimate show by StereoIns : ) Matt and Nick in a crowded living room. Needless to say, it was awesome! I mean...I hated it, make another album to spite me : )

    Check them out!

    ReplyDelete